DDNS ServerDynamic DNS server (dyndns.org-compatible)
This script allows you to setup your own dynamic DNS service on any server running BIND v8. It is fully compatible with the dyndns.org API, so you can use any dyndns.org-compatible update client to keep your IP address up-to-date (assuming your client allows you to submit updates to hosts other than dyndns.org).
This script has several benefits and several drawbacks vs. using a service such as dyndns.org.
- You have full, in-house control over the service.
- You can use your own domain name(s) without having to pay any fees.
- You don't need to worry about your hostname expiring if you don't update it (as this script doesn't handle automatic 30-day expirations)
- Amaze your friends (woo!) :)
- Services like dyndns.org are probably more reliable than your own DNS server (due to multiple redundancy and aggressive monitoring)
- You have to configure your DNS Update client to point to your own server (which may or may not be possible with all dynamic DNS update clients)
- The web UI is fairly limited at the moment (although there's nothing stopping you from improving it).
This script also supports "offline" mode; clients can specify an alternate URL to which visitors should be redirected when the client's own dynamic-IP server goes offline.